1.17.2012

Stuff Bicyclists Like - Spoke Cards

For my first assignment in my cultural anthropology course, I have to write a 4 page commentary on the website Stuff White People Like.  I've taken a quick look at it, enough to satisfy my happiness that this is not going to be a boring, dry assignment, which is great.  Another part of the assignment is to write a "stuff my people like" entry.  I immediately thought of bicyclists.

I protested getting a driver's license as long as I could, but my parents practically shoved me into the DMV when I turned 20.  So now I drive, begrudgingly, with a permit and I'm in no hurry to take the test. Well, maybe in a bit of a hurry. I really want to drive up north to Montaña de Oro or San Simeon.  But anyway, the reason I detest automobiles is because I am first a bicyclist.

The reasons are multiple and varied.  Inexpensive, environmentally friendly, fun and cool. I love bicycles.  I've been riding since I was in the 3rd grade. So yeah, I'm part of the community.  That's not to say I'm an expert though.  Just like with any society, a group is filled with many perspectiveS and that's a capital S in bold because that's the way my Anthro Professor wrote it.  The S means to be aware of oversimplification at the risk of stereotypes.  A group has many individuals, each with their own perspective and belief.

That's a long-winded explanation of this post...

So, stuff bicyclists like. Spoke Cards!

Food Not Bombs
I'm not sure whether they have any specific function.  I've heard some people say that certain spoke cards represent the group rides one has been on. This particular one was made by a pretty cool guy named Woody, who volunteers at the Los Angeles County Bicycle Coalition. It definitely has a humanistic/political message. I also think some spoke cards just look cool and have an aesthetic appeal.

What are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment